Following on from the construction of the Ravenstvo and Svoboda, Artemy Shagin set to work on the design of a new generation ocean liner incorporating as much new technology as could be included as well as taking into consideration experience from the design, building and now service phases of the previous liners.
The result was the Protsvetaniye (Prosperity), launched shortly before the outbreak of war in 1914. At 175.25m (574ft) long and 10,500GRT, she was at the time the largest vessel built in Sieran, and also one of the largest vessels of her kind to be built in the region.
Learning from the unpopularity of the “spartan” interiors in the older liners, Shagin put large emphasis on designing modern light designs featuring heavy use of white plastering and clever arrangement of windows and wall panels to promote the feel of space within. The new liner also, uncharacteristically perhaps, had a multi class interior featuring higher quality cabins, albeit facilities such as the lounge and dining room were still shared regardless of fare paid. This proved somewhat unpopular with foreigners accustomed to the traditional class divide in ships but proved rather popular within Sieran, leading to future liners adopting a similar arrangement.
Perhaps more importantly, the Protsvetaniye was the first major vessel in Sieran to be powered by Steam Turbines, fed from four boiler rooms featuring more modern water-tube boilers. She was partially funded for construction by the Navy in the condition of making concessions such as the turbines for experimentation. The power plant proved highly successful, however it would remain a number of years before other liners adopted the same machinery (namely down to cost, Turbines had to be imported until the 1920s due to lack of developed precision engineering).
Put into service operating the prestige route to San Francisco, the Protsvetaniye drew little foreign attention nor public interest abroad until 1921, when during participation with a fleet exercise, she rammed and sank the Large Destroyer Kop’ye, with only a crushed bow on her end.
Refurbished and refitted multiple times, the Protsvetaniye served until 1937 when a downturn in traffic along with the introduction of newer, faster ships saw her made obsolete. She was offered for sale but saw a market no longer interested and was sold for scrap, though some of her interiors found its way into the next generation of liner and within the National Line Hotel in Anadyr.